Fiddle Knits Designs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Fiddle Knits Designs

Welcome to the forums! Chat with other knitters and crocheters about Fiddle Knits Designs patterns. Ask questions, get help on patterns, and enable fellow crafters to buy more yarn., o)

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Choose your yarn yet?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Fiddle Knits
Admin
Fiddle Knits

Choose your yarn yet? Empty
PostSubject: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:23 am

Tell everyone what yarn your using, or might be using, or wish you could use.... You get the idea. You've probably all seen my yarn on the KAL image, if not I've posted it again below. I went with two skeins of Briar Rose Fibers Fourth of July. It's a light worsted weight that technically gets 5 sts per inch. However, for the shawl I worked it at a pre blocking gauge of 4.5 sts per inch and it was 3.5 sts per inch after blocking.
You can find Briar Rose Fibers here: http://www.BriarRoseFibers.net

I used two colors, but that doesn't mean you have to. I think it would look just as good in one color. One color is safer since you don't know what the pattern looks like. If you select two colors I'd suggest beginning with the darker tone.

Choose your yarn yet? Img_0411
Back to top Go down
http://www.FiddleKnits.com
TaSu

TaSu

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:11 pm

I don't know anything about this brand, but I guess it isn't sold around here. It looks really good and the earthly colours are really beautiful. I'm actually really excited about this KAL. The funniest thing is that when I signed up for the Finnish sock KAL I was thinking how weird it is that I've never participated in KALs before. The idea of mystery knitting is fun. But now I have two KALs, so...

I've got keep knitting my Polly before this KAL, so I'd make some progress. Yesterday I was too tired to knit but I have the whole day to clean the house knit. I work part-time, 3-5 days a week, so today is my day off. I hate it when work interferes my hobbies, there's something very wrong in that picture. Suspect But it pays for my Mystery KALs, so maybe I shouldn't whine about it lol!
Back to top Go down
valoudesbois

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 5:59 am

I'm actually searching a yarn, so I can't tell you now !!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Fiddle Knits
Admin
Fiddle Knits

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 6:23 am

Quote :
I hate it when work interferes my hobbies, there's something very wrong in that picture

See.... this is why I became a knitwear designer! I'm free to play with yarn all day and I don't have to feel guilty about it! What a Face
Back to top Go down
TaSu

TaSu

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:41 am

Fiddle Knits wrote:
Quote :
I hate it when work interferes my hobbies, there's something very wrong in that picture

See.... this is why I became a knitwear designer! I'm free to play with yarn all day and I don't have to feel guilty about it! What a Face

Sometimes I think it's such a shame I'm not creative like that. It would give a lot of freedom, to knit whatever I want and maybe have small business of my own. But that's not for me. I'm a bookworm study I leave creating to the artistic types.
Back to top Go down
Fiddle Knits
Admin
Fiddle Knits

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:44 am

Quote :
I leave creating to the artistic types.

Works for me! Lets me keep my "job" Wink
Back to top Go down
TaSu

TaSu

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 10:48 am

I agree, what am I going to knit, if you decide to go to law school or something Wink

Speaking of the yarn: This will be my first experience with Cascade 220. It seems to be really popular, so I'm curious about it. The skeins feel soft and there's apparently some sort of philosophy behind the yarn. Something about raising sheep respecting them and all the sheep know each other or themselves or something.

Anyway, I think I'll go get a skein upstairs already. You know, just to be ready. I have a basket upstairs, where is supposed to be only the yarns I need for current WIPs but still there seems to be a lot of other skeins just hanging out.

Back to top Go down
valoudesbois

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 2:42 pm

it is important to have a yarn in 10 ply ?
Back to top Go down
Fiddle Knits
Admin
Fiddle Knits

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 3:30 pm

Quote :
it is important to have a yarn in 10 ply ?

I never really pay attention to the ply count. Is it important to use a heavy DK or light worsted? Yes, if you want your shawl to be around the same size as then you'll want to use something in that range. The yarn I used was supposed to be worked at 5 sts per inch (according to Briar Rose Fibers). However, I chose to work it slightly looser at a preblocking gauge of 4.5 sts per inch (3.5 sts per inch after blocking). You don't want a dense fabric for this. You'll want t be working at a gauge that produces a nice drape. If you really love a yarn that's looking beautiful and drapey at 5 sts per inch then figure maybe you'll block it to 4 sts per inch and thus have a shawl slightly smaller than mine.

Hope that explanation helped!
Back to top Go down
valoudesbois

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptySat Apr 09, 2011 2:45 am

oh thanks, I'm was little bit lost with the using other yarn that the yarn proposed.

If I've good understood, the gauge is the most important to have a beautiful and "same" result.

So I will continue to search yarn !!!!!!! with those informations
Back to top Go down
cottontail

cottontail

PostSubject: yarn indecision   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 4:56 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what yarn to use. I have some handspun that is what I call marled variegated in shades of green, gold and brown. Should I be looking for something more solid color? I don't know if it might obscure any design you are creating within the shawl.
gail
Back to top Go down
http://www.knocturnalknitter.blogspot.com
TaSu

TaSu

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 12:05 am

cottontail wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out what yarn to use. I have some handspun that is what I call marled variegated in shades of green, gold and brown. Should I be looking for something more solid color? I don't know if it might obscure any design you are creating within the shawl.
gail

I think your choice sounds good. I'm using a solid colour myself. Jus basic green.
Back to top Go down
Fiddle Knits
Admin
Fiddle Knits

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 5:37 am

Quote :
Should I be looking for something more solid color?

That depends on how variegated your yarn is. Are all the colors around the same tonal range? If you have some shocking bright colors next to very dark colors I'm going to say you might not want to use it. If the tones are within the same range it could be ok. The yarn I chose was variegated. My first color was dark tones of green, blue, and brown. My second skein was lighter tones of green, purple, and blue. You can see a photo of my yarn in above posts and in your info packet. My personal motto is when in doubt go with a solid. A kettle dyed solid would be really pretty so you still have a bit of variation.
Back to top Go down
cottontail

cottontail

PostSubject: yarn selection   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 2:53 am

Thank you, This is it so I'm thinking I'll go with more of a solid. Perhaps the brown is too much contrast.
Choose your yarn yet? Mother_earth_medium2
gail
Back to top Go down
http://www.knocturnalknitter.blogspot.com
valoudesbois

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 3:31 am

oh this colors are wonderful !!!!!
Back to top Go down
nagaisgich

PostSubject: pretty merino silk blend   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:14 pm

I have picked out some yarn I think. Abuelita Merino Silk. I bought two skeins and put one on hold. Colorway is Brazilian Fruit. In the store I thought that meant a dark ivory with peachy undertone but at home it seems pale gold. I would like it to be green in the spirit of things, but I have a hard time finding a green I like.

Back to top Go down
Fiddle Knits
Admin
Fiddle Knits

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? EmptyTue Apr 19, 2011 5:29 pm

Pale gold sounds pretty and merino silk sounds luscious! Being green won't really make or break this design. I see a lot of people went green on their yarn choice and I'm kind of surprised by it actually. I have a hard time *not*buying green. I buy way too much green, which is what inspired me to design a whole collection based around the color. I needed to destash the greens a little... to make way for more greens lol Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Choose your yarn yet?   Choose your yarn yet? Empty

Back to top Go down

Choose your yarn yet?
Page 1 of 1